Is the hat still in Vogue?
From Dr Seuss’s Cat in the hat to English royalty, the hat is an indispensable wardrobe staple. Worn every season with fervor from his loyal fans for a multitude of purposes (ceremonial, religious, for safety or for a fashion statement); the hat never fails to disappoint anyone who wants to add a certain flare to any outfit.
Thus, is comes as no surprise that this season the hat elevates itself as a key piece and makes fashionistas hunt for the perfect style of hat to accompany them through the cold winter months. Like Cinderella and her precious glass slipper, there is a special kind of hat for anyone who wants to elevate a boring outfit to a new level of awesomeness. Let’s find the perfect hat together, shall we?
- The beanie: A fashion staple to any winter wardrobe since childhood, the beanie is worn not only to keep our head and ears warm but in later years to pass any message we don’t feel like sharing with the world in words but in popular catchphrases like “whatever”, “I woke up like this” etc. Made from wool, with many color combinations, sequined or not, with or without funny attachments like cat ears and reindeer antlers, it is a style must that saves us from potential bad hair days while giving a cool and relaxed vibe to any outfit.
- The beret: Adored by anyone who wants to add a French twist to any outfit, the beret is a cute hat offering style as well as comfort paired with elegant sweaters and cigarette trousers or skater skirts and ballet flats. Having one in a pastel color like powder pink or baby blue will instantly have that French effect.
- The fedora: Made popular by the late King of Pop, our beloved MJ, the fedora offers an effortless air of sophistication and mystique. Many celebrities swear on the fedora combined with a pair of dark sunglasses to shield them from the prying lens of the paparazzi who want to take a photograph no matter what (especially after a long flight!). So, if you want to feel like a celebrity while remaining totally fashionable, invest on a fedora in black, blue or camel to make your look stand out.
- The floppy hat: Exuding an air of timeless elegance brought from the 70s, this hat is sure to turn heads at your direction. It completes perfectly any look consisting of flared jeans or pants and a loose blouse or shirt with a long coat or a luxurious fur. Fashion tip: Pick one in a warm winter color like deep purple, caramel or teal.
- The cap: Sporty chic and athletic vibes are all that matter this season with collections like Alexander Wang x H&M or collaborations between Adidas and Pharrell Williams, Mary Katrantzou, Rita Ora etc. So, in order to adjust this trend to your everyday life, choose a cap in interesting colors paired with sneakers of the same palette and be sure to rock this look proudly. For extra fashion points, choose a leather cap and bring your edgier side forward.
- Hat like accessories: If you can’t bring yourself to commit to a hat, you can try an alternative head embellishment like turbans and headbands made of velvet or wool with sequin or jeweled details. These can be worn day-to-night paired with long flowy dresses and fur coats to make a strong fashion statement in cocktail parties and gatherings during the holiday season.
So, no matter what style of hat you choose, be bold and make a fashion statement wherever you go. And to paraphrase the popular saying: “if the hat fits, wear it.”