The Design & Crafts Council of Ireland (DCCoI) has announced that seven Irish design and craft businesses will be showcasing their work as part of the Design Ireland booth in the highly respected and influential Accent on Design® area at NY NOW® 2018. Selected by a jury to participate, each brand designs and makes their products in Ireland. In 2017, the Design Ireland booth won Best Curation in this prestigious area of NY NOW®, the first time a national pavilion has won an award at the fair.
NY NOW® 2018 takes place at Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, New York, Sunday 12 to Wednesday 15 August. This major US trade fair will present a unique opportunity for these Irish brands to meet with existing customers and establish further relationships with discerning trade buyers and key press attending the show.
The seven Irish brands being exhibited (Design Ireland – booth 3940, Accent on Design®):
- Bláithín Ennis, a newcomer to NY NOW®, is regarded as one of the best new jewellery designers on the Irish fashion scene. From her studio in Co. Wexford she creates jewellery that is affordable and beautifully designed, incorporating simple, traditional and craft driven techniques inspired by her natural surroundings in coastal Ireland. While this is Bláithín’s debut at NY NOW®, she is no stranger to the city, having been one of the winners of the prestigious Wearing Irish Awards which took place in New York in May 2018.
- Diem Pottery & Design Studio produces a range of simple yet stylish functional ceramics designed for everyday life. The range is handcrafted in Co. Meath by Thomas Diem who was born in the US and raised in Ireland. Diem Pottery previously exhibited in Accent on Design® at NY NOW® in 2015 and 2017.
- Field Apothecary creates an indulgent collection of essential oil candles inspired by the Irish countryside and featuring unique fragrances ranging from rain to peat, all hand-poured in Newtownards, Co. Down. They debuted at NY NOW® with Design Ireland in 2017.
- Foxford Woollen Mills, in the heart of Co. Mayo, is one of the last working mills in Ireland and has been weaving beloved throws, scarves and blankets for generations. Foxford is returning to NY NOW® 2018 having last exhibited in Accent on Design® in 2015.
- Jando is a multi-award-winning printmaking studio based in Dublin. Founded in 2015 by husband and wife Julie and Owen McLoughlin, the brand is making its NY NOW® debut this year. Known for their prints of iconic places and buildings, Jando have developed a range of US-inspired prints especially for NY NOW®.
- J. HILL’s Standard are based in Co. Waterford, a world-renowned location for cut crystal. Building on this heritage in master craftsmanship, they collaborate with international designers on their collections and previously exhibited with Design Ireland in Accent on Design® at NY NOW® in 2015 and 2017.
- SLATED is an Irish family-owned and -run luxury artisan homeware brand handmade in Dublin. Founded by husband-and-wife team Ed and Tara Hammond, SLATED create beautiful slate homeware inspired by tradition and are returning to NY NOW® having exhibited in Accent on Design® in 2015.
All seven of the brands exhibiting at NY NOW® 2018 with Design Ireland are also featured on DesignIreland.ie, the online platform developed by the Design & Crafts Council of Ireland to showcase the best of Irish design and craft and to connect audiences all over the world with Ireland’s makers, their studios and their inspiration.
The Design & Crafts Council of Ireland is the national agency for the commercial development of Irish designers and makers. Its Chief Executive, Karen Hennessy, commented: “DCCoI’s strategic aims include growing our international reputation and the commercial potential of Irish design and craft abroad. Design Ireland is our premium brand for promoting high-quality Irish-made and designed goods both in Ireland and around the world. NY NOW® is a highly influential and important US trade show, with the Accent on Design® area providing a huge opportunity for these seven Irish brands to meet exclusive buyers and key media face to face. Our booth provides an ideal platform for these enterprises to make important connections and potentially grow their export market. We are delighted to support them and wish them all the very best of luck at this year’s trade show.”
NY NOW® 2018 will be the third time for the work of contemporary Irish designers and makers to be presented by the Design & Crafts Council of Ireland at the trade show. In 2017, the Design Ireland booth won Best Curation in the influential Accent on Design® Awards area. Winning this award was a significant achievement for this premium brand which was created by DCCoI to showcase high-quality Irish design and craft to a global and an Irish audience. The Accent on Design® awards programme recognises product design excellence, innovation and creativity among NY NOW’s Accent on Design® exhibitors.
Other Irish brands exhibiting elsewhere at NY NOW® 2018 will include Inis – the Energy of the Sea fragrances (booth 7931) and Avoca Handweavers (booth 1635).